CAP provides sign language, oral and tactile interpreting services for Department of Defense (DoD) employees who are deaf or hard of hearing who attend job related training courses lasting two days or longer, but not to exceed two weeks. However, please note that CAP will consider exceptions to this policy with sufficient notification. CAP has specific requirements that must be met in order to provide sign language, oral and tactile interpreting services. All requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Request a Sign Language, Oral or Tactile Interpreting Services
Complete CAP Accommodation Request Forms for sign language, oral or tactile interpreting services must be submitted no fewer than 15 business days prior to the training/course. Your identified Approving POC will also need to approve the request from their www.cap.mil account no less than 15 business days prior. The Request Form is considered complete when CAP has all the information listed in the guidelines below. To request sign language, oral or tactile interpreting services, please add an interpreting services accommodation to your Cart.
CAP Guidelines on Sign Language, Oral or Tactile Interpreting Services
- CAP funds interpreting services for DoD employees who attend job-related training sessions lasting two days or longer, but not to exceed two weeks.
- CAP will only consider funding services if the training is held in a DoD office or facility. Training held in non-DoD facilities and offices, including those occupied by CAP's federal partners or private entities, are not eligible for consideration because the host, whether a federal agency or recipient of federal funds, has a legal obligation to ensure equal access.
- Please provide the following information when submitting a CAP request:
- Course/training title
- Copy of training/course description
- Copy of training/course registration
- Start and end dates
- Start and end times for each day
- Location of training/course
- Onsite point of contact (POC) information, including name, title, phone number and email address
- Any special instructions, such as: the need for interpreters with security clearances, parking arrangements, public transportation, etc…
- Please note, the requesting DoD agency must comply with the sign language, oral or tactile interpreting agency's cancellation policies (usually 48 or 72 hours). Please email the CAP Assessment Team at least one week (five business days) before the scheduled training/course if you need to cancel. Failure to comply with these policies may result in the requesting agency being responsible for any late cancellation fees.
Find Local Interpreters
Search CAP's database of interpreting agencies as a resource to fulfill your agency's interpreting requirements that CAP is unable to provide. CAP recommends that you involve the deaf/hard of hearing employee in the selection process for the sign language, oral and tactile interpreting services.
The Department of Defense (DoD), through the Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP) has provided the information available on this page in furtherance of CAP's mission to support DoD's and other Federal agencies' access to interpreting services. Posting this publicly available database enables CAP to provide non-Federal entities with a source of potential services so that CAP can focus its resources on those DoD and Federal agencies that CAP is charged to serve.
Accordingly, the information and resources accessible on this website are provided as a public service, free of charge. Other than utilizing the information to contact potential providers, Commercial use of this online resource and the information it contains is not authorized. The appearance of any entity or information neither connotes nor implies endorsement by any element of the DoD or the Federal Government. The DoD makes no representations or warranties of any kind regarding, among other things, the suitability, reliability, quality, or availability of any entity whose information is provided nor the completeness or accuracy of the database.
Listing in the database is voluntary and available upon request for any provider of interpretation services in the categories shown. Providers may contact CAP at firstname.lastname@example.org to participate.