U.S. flag An official website of the United States government
Dot gov

Requesting Accommodations

CAP encourages all its customers to utilize our online CAP Request Form and submit the form directly through our website. You may also email your request form to CAP@mail.mil. However, please be advised that submitting your request via email decreases CAP’s efficiency in processing and may result in an additional delay in service.

If you have an active request and would like to add another product, please reply to the most recent email from CAP with the name of the desired product. A CAP representative will notify you of the next steps.

CAP reserves the right to request medical documentation to support a request for accommodation and maintain acquisitions integrity. If CAP determines that medical documentation is needed to evaluate a request, the documentation must be issued by a licensed medical professional or other appropriate practitioner and indicate the medical diagnosis, including the current clinical status. A medical diagnosis must disclose the specific disease or condition that explains an individual’s limitation(s) as it relates to the accommodation(s) requested. When medical documentation or any additional supporting information is necessary to evaluate a request, customers must submit the information within five business days or the request may be declined. CAP is a resource and does not assume the legal obligation of an employer to accommodate its employees. If CAP declines an accommodation request for any reason, it should not be interpreted as a decline by the employing agency. Customers may request an accommodation from their employer at any time.

CAP evaluates requests for accommodations that have been lost, stolen or damaged on a case by case basis. You may submit a request for the accommodation on our website at www.cap.mil. During the approval process, you may be contacted to provide additional information about your original accommodation.

No, any technology that CAP provides federal employees becomes the property of their agency upon its arrival. If a civilian employee moves to another job within DoD, then the original agency can decide whether the tool can move with the employee to their new agency or if they'll have to re-accommodated by CAP at their new job/duty location.

For Service Members Continuing On Active Duty (COAD), the assistive technology that is procured by CAP and delivered to them is owned by the command/agency. When the property is received by the Service Member, the command/agency takes responsibility for the property and the appropriate property manager should notate the receipt of the assistive technology. However, if a Service Member requests assistive technology from CAP to aid in recovery and/or rehabilitation, the assistive technology becomes property of the Service Member. When the property is received by the Service Member, he/she takes responsibility for the property and receipt of the assistive technology should be notated by the Service Member or physical therapist.